Have you ever thought of making your ping pong table waterproof? Well, it might seem like an impossible thing. But still, you can do it. We have created this article to share the procedure in simple ways. The ping pong game is worldwide famous. The best part about playing it is that you don’t need to be a professional. Even if you are a beginner, you can quickly learn everything without struggling so much. Some sports need consistent practice to understand the basics. It is not the case with the ping pong game.
Another thing that makes people play this game is less equipment. You don’t have to waste a lot of money while shopping. All you need to purchase is a ball, table, net, and two paddles. However, there is a lot more to learn about these things, as stated by pingpongbeast.com. You can gain extensive knowledge regarding them on their website.
It is crucial to keep the equipment, especially tabletop, safe and secure. And it is only possible when you make your ping pong table waterproof. Many people consider the same due to various reasons. If you have placed it outside your room, there is always a risk of moisture and rain. They might contribute to making your table less durable.
The method of making your ping pong table waterproof is not complicated as it seems to be. But you need to follow the steps very carefully. A simple mistake might spoil your entire procedure. Read along as we discuss this method in detail.
What are the things you need to begin the process?
You will need some basic materials to begin the method. They are as follows-
- Polyurethane Sealant: Although there is acrylic sealant available in the market, you should always choose a polyurethane one. You may ask why? It is because other types of adhesives can harm the tabletop surface. There are various types of polyurethane sealants. So, you have to research a lot before buying one. A straightforward way is to read the customers’ reviews.
- Brush: Obviously, you need a brush to apply the sealant on the surface of the table. You should always prefer using a brush with nylon bristles. The size must be suitable enough to spread it all over the surface evenly. Many people buy a cheap brush. Well, it might not give you the best results.
- Sandpaper: Sandpaper is another essential material that is used in the process. Once you have finished coating the surface, the next step is to use sandpaper to perfect the application. It is not that hard to use it.
What are the steps involved in making the ping pong table waterproof?
It is not a very long procedure. Just know one thing, you have to take every step carefully.
Clean the tabletop:
The first step is to clean the tabletop properly. If you apply the sealant on a dirty surface, particles might be visible. You have to take the net from the table to get started with the cleaning. It is better to use microfiber to help remove even the smallest dust particles from the surface. Also, it won’t cause any scratches on the same. You can use a dishwashing liquid to clean the table. It is readily available in the market.
Apply the sealant:
After cleaning the tabletop surface, it is now time to apply the adhesive. The purpose of covering the surface with it is to protect the wood from moisture and rainfall. This step is crucial in the whole process. You need to follow the steps mentioned below-
- Dip the brush into the container carefully: Some people make mistakes while dipping the brush into the sealant’s container. They often waste it by taking excessive adhesive. So, it is better to take a small amount of it. You might have to buy more containers if you irresponsibly do this step.
- Start from the corners: You should cover the corners of the table in the initial stages. Then, move on to the edges. It is a proper way to apply the sealant.
- Double-layer: After putting on the first coat, you can now move on to another one. The double layer stays longer than a single layer. However, you need to be extra patient during this process. Sometimes, bumps arise and make the surface rough.
- Blend your every stroke: Coating with a brush involves multiple strokes. You should keep them in one direction. Wherever you have applied the sealant, you need to blend the area thoroughly. Well, it doesn’t matter if you are a professional painter or not. You can learn it within a short period.
- Cover both sides: You should never forget to apply the coat over the top as well as the back of the tabletop.
- Leave it for eight hours: The sealant layer will only benefit you if you keep the table aside for at least eight hours. Drying is as necessary as the coating.
Sanding the surface:
In the third step, you have to use sandpaper. To start this one, you need to check whether the table has completely dried or not. Then, follow these points-
- Use 100 to 150 grit sandpaper: You should not use sandpaper that is less than 100 grit. It might not be able to do effective sanding.
- Look for bumps: You need to check the bumps on the surface. When you find any, make them smooth.
- Remove the dust: After sanding, you need to use a hand vacuum to eliminate the mess you have made. You can also do it with the cloth.
Finishing the waterproofing procedure:
You have to repeat the above three steps at least four to five times to get better results. The last step is to cover the stand with primer to prevent rust. Then, apply a coat of paint to complete the entire method.
Waterproofing the ping pong table is beneficial in many ways. We hope you can now easily do it yourself by following the steps. Now, what are you waiting for? Get the materials ready.