You might be interested in growing houseplants but at the same time you might have concerns about your dog being around it. The good thing is that there are houseplants that your dog can be safe and free around because your dog is likely not to consume it but if it eventually does, it still would not cause any harm. This is why we have decided to bring you this safe houseplants for dogs article as it would help you explore through some houseplants that are dog friendly and that you can grow without bearing any worry in mind.
Interesting Review – Making A Lawn More Acidic
Safe Houseplants For Dogs
The best thing anyone should do when dealing with pets and plants is simply place the plants at a place where it would be difficult for pets to reach them and it doesn’t really matter whether the plants are toxic or not. The truth is just because a plant is said to be non toxic doesn’t really mean that it is safe for your dog to consume it and before we go into plants which we consider to be very toxic, we want to show you the following plants which your children or pets should not be found around.
- Peace Lily
The Poinsetta plant is one that is considered to be an irritant and most people also believe that its toxicity is quite over exaggerated.
Trendy Post – Getting Rid Of Thatch Using Fire
Plants That Are Safe For Dogs
Today, there are lots of plants which would not cause any harm to your dogs and some of the common ones includes;
- African Violets – These are small but great flowering plants which comes in several attractive colors and they are also famous for coming in variegated varieties. The average indoor condition is just perfect for this plant to thrive and even under lower light, this plant also thrives compared to other plants.
- Spider Plants – The spider plants are also another houseplant that are non toxic around your pets and under average conditions, you can count on this specie of plant to thrive. They look just perfect when used as decoration and they also propagate readily.
- Moth Orchid – Phalaenopsis orchids are also great plant choices for your pets and the fact that they can now bloom even during the winter season where other plants die off makes them more special
- Bromeliads – The air plants and other plants in the bromeliad family are a great option around your pets and one thing you should note is not mounting your air plants or allowing them to stay loose would require you to keep them out of reach entirely. This would make sure that they do not pose a threat to your pet and you should be concerned about stagnant air as air plants thrive where there is proper circulation of air.
- Ferns – Maidenhairs and Boston ferns are non toxic especially around your pets but the asparagus fern is one that you really should be careful around. You would observe that the humid areas in your home is where ferns tends to thrive well and that is why they always do well in places like your bathroom.
Furthermore, other choices of houseplants that are non toxic and safe for your pets are Areca palm, Gloxinia, Fittonia, Calathea, Parlor palm and Peperomia.
Related Review – How To Protect Garden Plants From Dogs